Unjust mods
  • The mods here are very partial and unjust. Sometimes they act racists too. For example Bonnie and Asuna never mute their family members for using homophobic terms like fags and faggots but they crack a whip when someone is talking in a language other than english. Is using your mother tongue much serious offense than homophobia?
  • Seeing how you mentioned Bonnie and Asuna as the examples of mods who acts partial and unjust (and according to you, racist) I assume you're talking the one on Windows server right?

It is sad fact knowing that the terms fag/faggots are a very commonly used indeed not only in-game but also in real life situation. Thing is there are only several mods in Windows server, some of them (I think) are dedicated to moderate the Brazilian (Portuguese) chat channel. Not to mention they also can't be possibly go online every time. If you found certain abuse of the chat rules, go to Phone > Biz Center > Staff then you can see which moderators are online at that particular time. Next to that, you'll see a "Send" button.
    Kindly & politely write them and letting them know that there are players who abuses the chat rules, then wait it out. I'm pretty sure they're more than happy to check the issues out and sorted them out. At least that's what I did a couple of times. I think this method of mine is a tad better rather than just simply complained without actually making the effort to let them know of what's happening in chats since there's a big chance such rule-breaking posts might already get buried under other posts by the time mods are going online or checking out certain chat rooms.

As for the matter of the use of native language, I do feel it's okay as long as the use of it isn't overwhelmed on a certain chat rooms. Remember on the previous case of how native Portuguese speakers are overwhelming global & flight chats and then the game are given an update to actually made a special chat channel for native Portuguese speakers?

They are given such privilege that no other native language speakers have. I do experience such overwhelming use of Hindi in flight chat lately. I don't have a problem with it personally but as I understood, English is also part of India most frequently used language. Why can't they use English instead of Hindi while in chat channels (a place where all people with various native languages can see and join in the chat)?

This is an multiplayer online game where people with various native languages are interacting with each other. The use of one of the most commonly used international language (English) in my opinion is one way to avoid misunderstanding, racism and the feeling of over-pride of certain nationalities. I think it's all boiled down to learn how to tolerate others.

Example (no real names involved as far as I know) :
    How would Buddy who natively speaks language "A" felt when another person is talking in "B" native language? Moreover if in that post there's a mentioned of his name "Buddy"? What would you felt if that also happened the other way around?
    Sure we can use translator apps or whatnot, but then what to do when we found the translated outcome is insulting to say the least? Should Buddy responded by insulting the other person back in other languages that person wouldn't know?

My point is, language barrier can and will create frictions when many people with various native languages are conversing together in a free chat channel. Although the use of native languages aren't written down in the chat rules, I think the use of English as one of the most commonly used international language is "the wise thing" to do while conversing in an multiplayer online game. No matter how basic someone's English skill is, I think people do get the meaning just fine.

PS. I'm born and raised in Indonesia and thus my native language is Bahasa Indonesia.
    We Indonesian actually have a different traditional language for each provinces.
    Maybe this is a factor why I'm as an Indonesian are used to dealing with many different languages.
    Please do pardon my lack of proficiency in English as I only learned it through an English language course.
  • 1. Your argument that fags/faggots are commonly used terms is totally stupid... all racist and sexist terms were commonly used once.

2. You pretend to take an open minded stand by saying using English can dissolve barriers, but do you understand that forcing one language (dts wht d mod apparently do when they ban an individual for using his/her lang) on an individual is an imperialist approach. Even in real life if I am in standing among a group of varied backgrounds it is always my choice (and I have the right to make that choice) whether I want to use my native language or a commonly understandable language. That's why in various international debates, pageants, meetings etc an interpreter is provided. Do you think if a leader of a country is speaking in his own language in the G8 summit that's because he doesn't know English or he is practicing his right of choosing the language he wants to converse in?
  • CakeCake
    You're making this about actual real life events. This is just an app with sets rules and mods made to enforce them. If you have concerns about the mods on your server then message feedback and let them review it and act accordingly.
  • How far you can draw line between real life and virtual life? The genesis of virtual life is in reality. Would you allow the profanities of real life flourish in the virtual life? Would you allow people calling the N word to Black people? Would you allow all Russian female players being termed as prostitutes by Indian players? Would you allow sexist content? Would you like Asians to be mocked in this game for there color and appearance?

I have discussed this issue with the GA too, and due to his dis-satisfactory response I have posted this issue here for general discussion.
  • CakeCake
    Like I said. Its an app. Made to be fun. Certain players prefer to play it to escape real life for a bit while others only play to torment. Mods were created to help keep the game enjoyable for its players. Message feedback and inform them of what's going on. If you have to get their email and forward screen shot proof of things you see going on that you dont approve of.
  • Like I said, I have already done that. I have posted here after I got GA's response.

In my opinion the developers of this game are technical genius and socially ignoramus, that's why they overlook such things which offend others. If here is a game that can hurt feelings of homosexuals or bans people on the basis of the language they use then it is not just unjust but also inhuman.

I want the followers of this game to know this aspect of the admin too.
  • i think you're taking this game to heart a little bit too much, its a game, with set rules and moderators who give up their free time to enforce those rules... This is not the G8 summit, I don't see how you can compare the two? As cake said, if you can send a mod the screenshots of whatever it is you're complaining about, then the issue will be resolved in whatever way they deem necessary. It doesn't warrant a political debate
  • 1. Do you realize how offensive the term fag is? If somebody calls a gal a whore in this game will she take it in a stride just because it is a game?
    2. If the admin expects us to enjoy the game how can he set a rule like 'english only or you would be banned', Is it a game or a convent school?
    3. Be it the G8 summit or facebook or the game, the point is about the fundamental right. The whole concept of social networking is based upon freedom of expression.
    4. Do the mods need screenshots of something which is so redundant? I have named the mods whose own fam members use the offensive language and they do nothing.
    5. Does the admin needs screenshots of his own reply to me saying that he doesn't need any screenshot on the issue of homophobia and he will look into the matter and the situation stays as it is?
  • Even in real life if I am in standing among a group of varied backgrounds it is always my choice (and I have the right to make that choice) whether I want to use my native language or a commonly understandable language. That's why in various international debates, pageants, meetings etc an interpreter is provided. Do you think if a leader of a country is speaking in his own language in the G8 summit that's because he doesn't know English or he is practicing his right of choosing the language he wants to converse in?

Seeing how you compares the game chats feature to be similar to a G8 Summit and how the Summit uses the service of interpreter, should the game admin hires full-time, round-the-clock interpreter for every native language speakers on the game?
    That will definitely solve the language issue then?

Oh btw, I have encountered some post in other language that contained my name in it, I Googled translate it (though not reliable, it does help a bit) and unfortunately made me realized that the poster of that particular post actually insulted me. I personally think some people do post in their own native language sometimes simply to insult/made fun of/or even at times; swears so that their posts can bypassed the system's filter/avoid moderators interference or generally talks about other players with the 'subjects' of that posts knowing such fact. This is my personally formed opinion as I've experienced it before myself.

In my opinion the developers of this game are technical genius and socially ignoramus, that's why they overlook such things which offend others. If here is a game that can hurt feelings of homosexuals or bans people on the basis of the language they use then it is not just unjust but also inhuman.
    I want the followers of this game to know this aspect of the admin too.

There are a few simple ways of action for players to take if they found insulting post (in your case, the use of the terms fags/faggots):
    - Send mail to mod, tell them the player's name who posted such post. If you receive no respond for a period of time they might be busy irl (bear in mind they aren't paid to be moderators, as such, they don't actually have the obligation to stay on duty at all times). Mail other mods when a mod you're mailing too is not responding. That's what I did anyway.
    - Take a screenshot of such post, and ask the mods that you can prove it if they're willing to share their messenger apps (WhatsApp, WeChat, Kik etc) so that you can send them the screenshot. I actually have some mods contacts ready on my phone when I needed to send them a screenshot.
    - Ignorance a bliss. Ignore insulting posts, as much as you hated such posts, replying/responding to them will actually gave the poster much personal satisfaction. Ignore them, and they'll will stop posting eventually. That's what happened to me before, other people on chats actually starts following me by ignoring that poster too, guess what? When that poster are ignored by most of the people on chat, if clever enough to get the hint, will either start going silent or leaving (lurking) the chat instead.
    - If such insulting post really warrants a respond from you, take it to mail with that particular poster. No need to drag the whole chat into a 'debate' as not all players chatting there wanted to get involved.

You shouldn't branded the game developers as 'technical genius and socially ignoramus' as they actually have a very though job trying to pleased everyone and keeping the amount of dissatisfaction to minimum in short amount of time. I'm sure that the developers of this game doesn't deliberately overlook things, it's very probably due to the amount of things they actually have to think about that made a certain respond taking quicker/longer time to make.
    You have ideas for improvement of the game? Post them here and wait. Writing new game codes isn't an easy task, it'll definitely take some time to write and beta-testing the new game codes before releasing them as an available updates for everyone. Players will certainly complaint when they encountered bugs/issues after a supposedly improvement updates wouldn't they?
  • If the admin expects us to enjoy the game how can he set a rule like 'english only or you would be banned', Is it a game or a convent school?

There's no such rule from the game admin about 'English only or you would be banned'.
    Even if there is one such rule, I think that only happened after the Portuguese chat channel is made available. Where mods on duty there probably muted/banned English speaker when they posted in English, so in returns, anyone posted in Portuguese in global channel received the same treatment (at least that's what I thought happening anyway).
    The only muting case I've seen happening is when a certain poster post a one-liner (as a matter of fact, each post only contained one word lol) multiple times (until it actually looks like he/she is the only one chatting in the chat channel) in his/her own native language. The reason for the muting is the spamming, not the use of his/her own native language.

Be it the G8 summit or facebook or the game, the point is about the fundamental right. The whole concept of social networking is based upon freedom of expression

This game isn't a social networking app/site/whatever, the game might've a bit of social networking aspect in it, but that isn't the game main purpose as the main purpose of the game is to provide entertainment. Facebook or any other networking sites has few features to ensure 'fundamental rights' or 'freedom of expressions' as you've stated before, to works a tad better (and those social networking sites/apps keeps updating it from time to time) compared to the game. An example of such features from Facebook is the ability to filtered who can access your profile, find your profile, read/comments on your post etc based on your privacy/security preference. Granted, the game doesn't have that kind of feature as I think it would give major loads on the game servers. Facebook or any other social networking sites/apps have ads to support the maintenance of their servers and to upgrade them when necessary. This game only relies to players who willing to buy gold to maintain the game servers. FYI, maintaining servers (upgrading them) costs a lot, so it's pretty cool for the game developer to actually provide us access to the game for free.
    Even in those social networking sites/apps, 'freedom of expressions' only works when what the people are expressing is within a set of certain social norms (I think). I remembered a case when a teenager post her 'freedom of expressions' by posting a joke to United Airlines official Twitter account saying something in the line of "get ready for some explosive surprises", the United Airlines responded by saying that they have forwarded her Twitter post to FBI and she's arrested a couple of days later. Please do bear in mind with what you're posting. Not every expressions you posts are taken as you intended by others.

Do the mods need screenshots of something which is so redundant? I have named the mods whose own fam members use the offensive language and they do nothing

As I said before, when a certain mods doesn't responded to you preferences, please do tell other mods. I once mail a mod about something, and as I received no responds for some time, I mailed other mod who's also online at that time and I got the responds I hope for. Mind you, moderators aren't a paid job, they volunteered to do it on their FREE time. Some mods might be busy IN REAL LIFE as that what took priority as it should be in the first place. As for the needs for screenshots by the mods, maybe because sometimes providing ones helped you prove your point better rather than just voicing your words through mail/post.

Does the admin needs screenshots of his own reply to me saying that he doesn't need any screenshot on the issue of homophobia and he will look into the matter and the situation stays as it is?

Such posts concerning the issue of homophobia wouldn't happened if people actually read and follows the chat rules. Unfortunately people do love to break the rules and the applied system filter can't do anything when players find their way to bypass filter. Having mentioned that, I know that there are plenty of unsuitable posts going around on all chat channels. However, there's a problem: there are lots of post to be read through by the GA, and that also includes all recent posts posted by other players so the 'problematic posts' might eventually got buried under all new posts. It will take times to filtered through all of those posts, and GA does received plenty of mails too from all other players I assume. I wouldn't be surprised that you weren't the only one mailed GA about something. All players can do is patiently wait and remembered that there are hundreds of thousands of people who actually play the game, and who knows how many of them actually mailed GA about something (which can be ranging from totally not serious thing (Example: "Can you move the lucky wheel to Cape Town so I wouldn't be tempted to play it every time I logged in?") to a more serious matter (Example: "How can I recover my account if I forgot both my ID and password"). That means that the GA does have a lot of things on their hand and very possibly way too few of people to sort out all of those things quickly.
  • I don't know whether you are the GA itself as you are so profoundly defending him by explaining his trouble but it is funny you don't see things from my perspective.

Now I tell you on your face. I have a friend of mine who is homosexual and he uninstalled the game because the issue I have mentioned and the other friend of mine is just not active in the game because he does not enjoy the chatrooms as his english isnt very good.

So whatever I am putting up here is out of my experience and not just imagination.

N btw Caesar, I also told him the same thing you said above "Fags/faggots are common words", but keep that in mind it is very derogatory for them.
  • indiancommando, lots of people have homosexual friends, myself included, but if the term 'fag' isnt directed at the person, then why take offence to it? im english, and a fag in england is slang for cigarette. if it was directed at your friend, then that is the time to send a screenshot to a mod. that way you are defending your friend properly. but to come on to the games forum and slander the mods and admin will only go against you and make all of your points invalid
  • lol if saying sth against mods and admin makes a genuine point invalid then it says a lot about the iq
  • I'm not a GA, and I'm not defending him/her either. You talking about how I should see from your perspective, believe me that's the first thing I did. One person did called me a faggot through mail before. Let's just say I politely mailed him back asking why he called me so and knowing his reason all I could reply is a laugh and that's how it ends.
    But then I put myself in the GA shoes, have you ever tried that? Maybe then you'll realized my previously mentioned points on my posts, just maybe..

As I said, it's a monumental task (if not impossible) for every position of powers to make everyone satisfied. An example of fact: Nobody ever fully satisfied with the government, teacher, game admins, parents or even their life themselves. Some even blame Gods when a certain someone isn't satisfied with how things are going for them. The point is, it's hard to satisfy people completely.

I have plenty of homosexual/lesbian friends during college (I graduated from faculty of humanity, where fortunately considered as the most liberal ones compared to other faculties). So I'm not without the knowledge how the public perception think of them. Even more so seeing how my country (Indonesia) is known as the nation with the most Moslems in the world. FYI, same-sex relationship is considered as major sin in Islam, as such, it's a very taboo things when a person's talking/admitting that he/she is a homosexual/lesbian.
    Your friend leaving the game is possibly a wise decision if he never found the enjoyment intended from playing the game. No one's forcing your friend to play the game. If he really wanted to play the game and enjoy it, he could choose to ignore such insulting posts. If he didn't enjoy it, they could leave the game and find other game. That's the only thing he can do because plenty of other players will always bypassing the system's filter and also because the mods and GA have turned a blind-eye towards such issue as you've implied so far.
    Maybe changing server of the game would do your friend good? Probably.
    Plenty of people with various personalities are in-game in all of the game servers, so there's always bound to be someone who will brushed against your friend no matter what the issue is. It all boils down on how people responded on when a certain situation occurred.

As Fresh said, some words does have multiple meaning depended on the context on how the words are used in a sentence/phrase. An example, the term homo in my language also means cowards. My native language of Bahasa Indonesia does absorbs, infused and modified other languages (mainly Dutch and English) to be part of our vocabularies.
    And again as Fresh suggested, I too already said before to took and send screenshot to mods/GA to further support your complaint about that issue, it'll help them to know the heart of the matters a lot quicker and make the needed responds accordingly.
  • Lol Caesar write shorter posts. Nobody would read that much...

BTW I agree with Indian Commando, one should not be banned for not using English, banning is an extreme step
  • lol I know there's a very high chance that no one would read my posts, but I can't help it..
  • ive never seen anybody banned for using different languages. unless they are insulting others. some of the mods are bi-lingual too
  • so do you agree people should not be banned or muted for using their language?
  • I agree as long as people doesn't spam, use the native language as a means to bypass the system's filter, insult other players or overwhelmed chat channels.

Because there's no other specialized chat channel like the Portuguese channel, global/flight/prison/hospital chat channel are not limited to certain languages. Having said that, a tolerance among players with various languages is paramount to have, to ensure that a clash of different languages can be avoided, as some people could certainly use that to incite an unhealthy dose of arguments inclined towards race or ethnicity of certain language speaker.
  • CakeCake
    Im a mod and I have banned for using another language. But it was to a player that is not at all new to the mute scene and during global rants, when I would show up, would hide what he wanted to say behind another language. Mods are here to control situations of racism, cursing etc. Im not a mod that's got time to google translate every post when global or flight is in an uproar. Breaking up situations is what I was made mod to do. Not waste my time going back and forth between apps to see what a player said in another language. Like its been said. Mods are players as well as mods we just want to play the game and have fun as much as everyone else but we also have to put in extra effort that other players dont have to. Honestly I think mods need to be cut a bigger break than they're given.
  • If you guys are discussing about mods, I want to say that many times I have found mods very unjust. What commando says is true I have experienced it that mods don't act against their family members. I think the mods should not be in fams to make them neutral.

I dont have an opinion on language issue, but I think I would be very disappointed if someone bans me for using my language.
  • Ive been playing for around a year, and have only come across one 'bad' mod, he was relieved of his position after several complaints were made. ive seen mods mute their own family, u guys cant actually see what they do, they could warn them in family chat to stop.

Aaliya, the mods are gamers just the same as us, so why shouldnt they be allowed in fams, and to have friends?
  • Aaliya and Fresh, what I meant here by mods being unjust is that act promptly on spammg but sometimes overlook pervs and homophobes.
  • Fresh, i m not tallking about bad mod. I m saying dt there is lot of swearing going on but they cant control it and also I complained about sm1 and mod said to give screenshot.. how cn i whatsapp to sm1 i dont know?

I also think some mods r kids...
  • commando... spammg is smtyms very irritating so it shud b stop... but i agree wd u that other issue are equally important
  • CakeCake
    I don't agree at all about mods being famless because like previously stated we are players as well. I had a huge part in helping my fam become #1 with 4 skills maxed at 16 and the rest to 15. But what because I stepped up to be a mod I shouldn't be allowed to benefit from my own work? How is that not unjust? If famless and mindless robots who were on 24/7 and acted on every little thing is the kind of mods you want there would be none at all and the game would be even worse.
  • CakeCake
    Cursing is allowed. Its a mafia game for goodness sake. Its when its done in excess or directed at a person or players that it becomes a situation where a mod is needed. We have rl stuff to do. We have our own game to play. We have a bunch of mail coming in asking for help etc. Plus to top it we're only human. Humans make mistakes. So seriously, ease up on mods. Trust me when I say the "pay" we get for being a mod isn't near worth it for the players who make it their mission to just cause drama and mayhem.
  • wts ur name in the game, cake?
  • n btw... lets end it by sayg... mods r human, so r d players, we all r here for fun, regulate spam regulate insult but plz dont regulate language.. dt wud ruin d fun ;)

Thank you so much
  • aaliya, the best way to send a screenshot to a mod is by asking the mod where to send it in their mailbox, they will give u the details, and deal with it accordingly. i think this thread is disrespectful to the mods who are working hard to help us have fun on the game. they have reduced the amount of spammers, scammers and trolls since ive been playing
  • I never needed To mute My own familymembers, because when i warn them, they behave unlike others:)
  • there no point argueing with me cause u will lose everytime but ppl do have a point bonnie and asuna have been very bias towards fbi and bandits and this needs to stop i always nipped my family members for rule brakes and yes even muted some of them a good mod should never be bias about familys they should treat everyone all the same.

end of rant
  • Looks like yodas trying to get his old mod back lol...not gonna happen
  • ArunArun
    He can get it anytime he wants lol

u got told hahaha i wonder what ya game acc name is
  • CakeCake
    I've muted fam numerous times. They get warned like everyone else. But sadly some members think they should be immune. Smh.

u got told hahaha i wonder what ya game acc name is

got told by who ?? Lol some noob ?
  • Personally, I believe people are too quick to judge mods. One must remember that mods are also there to play the game and have fun too. However, if a mod is seen to be to be unjust, there is a feedback button. If enough complaints arise, the mod in question will be looked into. I can understand mods being seen to be lenient towards their family members but from experience, they aren't. They just prefer to have a word in their family chat which is perfectly viable. No one is perfect, we must remember this. :)
  • ArunArun
    I m overwhelmed @ charisleb ;;)
    Thanked by 1kate
  • U r not overwhelmed by me :-L
  • Arun said:

I m overwhelmed @ charisleb ;;)

Overwhelmed? B-)
    Did I say too much? :P
  • ArunArun
    lets just say i love the way u talked in favour of mods haha
    its not a easy job but we try to do our best :D
  • I just think people need to see it from your perspective, rather than their own for a change. You guys do do your best, and it shows through. :)
  • ArunArun
    Yeah that's what i said . But people tend to follow their own ways lol
    not that it concerns me but it would be nice if we get some appreciation for our efforts .
  • Anytime. :)>-
  • As a mod, I can honestly say that I do not go looking for offenses - players loooove to tattle on others so I will try to address issues accordingly....however, some players TRY to get themselves in trouble. And if/when asked to refrain or the player is muted, complaints happen. We can't please everyone all the time (and we are bound to miss some comments/behavior, etc., since we aren't always online) but if there are concerns about fairness, please use feedback button to let GA know.
  • I am neither GA or Mod.. I am just a player on the Windows phone server. I have been playing almost 100 days and I have seen partial and unjust mods as well as great ones. My one belief is that Mods should not be in families to keep an impartial eye. Just an opinion ;-)
  • CakeCake
    Seeing as how family skills boost personal skills I don't think it would be right to make mods famless. They're players just like everyone else. Plus if you made VOLUNTEERED mod players famless there would be very few mods if any. Leaving the game back to being open to rule breakers. Also just because they'd have no fam wouldn't mean they wouldn't have a spouse and friends.
  • Cake's right, they can't be expected to leave their family just because they have been selected to become a mod. At the end of the day, we need to remember that they are still players who want to enjoy the game so we need to respect that.
  • There is not such thing of unjust mods
    There is some of players with envy in all the strongestg familys because they been looking ro becane on mods and they cant get to be one. I get alots of mails asking me how i became o mod. And if i dont Said i get

revisión by them lol they mail the addmin making things up i Just dont pay attenrion to them

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion